Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Indoor Competitions

Back from the warm sunny days of FL...and back to the cold, windy, dark days of Chicago. I was just in Naples, FL for a few days for a business trip. Although not outside much, it was nice to see the sun and be able to walk outside with less than 6 layers on. I was able to get outside on my last day there and get an 11 mile run in. I ran on the beach along the Gulf of Mexico...I think I could get used to doing that!

Anyways, I'm back home now which also means back to work! The season is starting to pick up with lots of events and in-store meetings. I really enjoy making it over to run/bike shops, setting up, and getting the word out there on PowerBar products (9 times out of 10 the product does the talking!). Being back home, it also means back to getting in the daily workouts and making sure that I'm eating healthy/getting enough sleep.

This past weekend I was able to make it over to University of Chicago for an afternoon indoor track meet. I entered the 1 mile run just to get some speed in and see what I could do. It has been a LONG time since I ran a mile race indoors. I was in the 2nd heat out of 3...so I wasn't going to be with the fastest runners, but I was ok with that since I was unsure of what I could do. I got a quick warm up in, did some strides, and then hit the starting line. All I wanted to do was make sure that the first few laps (of 8) were easy and smooth. From what I remember, I think the first 400 was around 64.5 seconds. I was in the lead right from the gun with a few guys right off my back. Through the 800 I was at 2:10 and feeling really comfortable. It was at this point that I was starting to break away from the other runners. I kept trying to push myself as I was racing myself and the clock. It would've been nice to have some company in front of me to keep the pace up as in the last 400 I slowed a bit and came across the line in 4:22. I was happy with the time and think sub 4:20 would have been achieved if I was racing against some competition. It got me really motivated because my speed is coming back and I am feeling pretty fit to start the season off.

In terms of the weight loss goal...things are going well. I haven't been able to get on my wi-fi scale much..so that is why there aren't too many recordings, but just today I was 135.9 (down 13 lbs from Jan!!). Yesterday I was at 134 so definitely looking good right now. I want to make sure that the weight comes off in a healthy way so that I'm not losing too much strength. But so far, I'm feeling good and will lay low on the weight / starting getting some more healthy calories in to maintain.

The season is right around the corner and I couldnt' be more excited. Thanks for checking in and keep up the training!

No comments: