Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Tabata Intervals...

After getting my PowerTap...I decided I was required to do a few tests to measure my progress. I have been hearing that the latest craze involves doing all out efforts of 20 seconds followed by a mere 10 second rest repeated for a total of 6 intervals. Do the math on this HIGHLY INTENSE workout and see how long it should take. Yup, thats right..only 3, yes 3!, minutes. I can guarantee that this 3 minute workout will take A LOT out of you. I like to warm up for about 25-35 minutes with a few hard efforts to make my legs wake up and prepare for the hard interval work and then go right into it. The first time I tried to do this workout, I stopped after the 2nd interval. I said there was no way that I could finish. Well..the next day I felt ashamed of myself and hopped back onto the bike and forced myself through the set. As you can see, the first time I did it my numbers were low. I was dying, gasping for air, just pushing the pedals in hope that a really high power number would pop up onto my computer. Well..those numbers were really weak and I was pretty bummed about how terrible of a cyclist I was. I figured if I tried to do the workout another time a few days later I could do better...and I did. I read about this workout and the more you do it...the better you will get. So I decided that I would try to do the workout every week or so to see where I am at. I can easily insert it into any normal ride..although it does take a lot out of me. I did the workout for a third time just today...and success...more improvement. Hopefully I will be able to get my later interval watt numbers a little higher in time! But for now..here are my results and improvements....





No comments: