Monday, March 21, 2011

Weekend

So this past weekend was the March Madness 1/2 marathon. This is one of my favorite kick-off season races and was the winner the past 3 years. I had plans on racing, but have other priorities now. I love the race particularly because it tests you in many ways. You need to stay relaxed in the first few miles because after about half way through, the hills really start to add up. Then they keep hitting you one after another. This year, I was fortunate enough to go out, set up a PowerBar table, and sample a GREAT recovery drink. I had Team Elite member, Russ Kuryk, out to help me as we whipped out the blenders and made drink after drink for a few hours. The runners really enjoyed the drink and hopefully aided in their recovery!

Here is a picture of Russ hard at work:


In terms of the race, I was really excited to watch the other half Jacqui as she was planning on seeing where she was at in terms of fitness. She has done this race the past 3 years as well and finished in 7th, 4th, and 3rd. This year, her focus is strictly running...so we were excited to see what that would bring. And to say the least...she absolutely dominated. Jacqui ended up winning to complete her progression and ran a new PR of 1:24....simply amazing. Now don't forget, this is on I would say the hardest 1/2 marathon course in the Midwest. The wind was howling..and not to mention the rain coming down pretty hard right from the gun. She still went out there and pulled off a PR. I really think she is in shape to put herself in contention for a breakthrough marathon this year! So congrats to her :)

In other news, not much is going on. I am continuing to train hard and feeling very fit. The weight has leveled out, so I'm looking to stay right in the 130-134 range. Maybe get a touch lighter for the key races, but other than that, I feel fit and leaner than I have any other racing season. I continue to keep busy with work...as seen from this past weekend at the half, and really enjoy interacting with athletes on a daily basis.

I'm looking forward to a down week in training as the past three have really beaten me up, but it will only make me stronger come race time. Can't wait to see the weather turn for good over here...but looks like many 30 degree days on on there way starting tomorrow, ugh. Time to keep riding the trainer!

No comments: